Crashing issues in MW2: Crashes can occur for various reasons, such as outdated graphics drivers, faulty game files, or misconfiguration Windows or in-game settings—many reports of PC players experiencing frequent crashes while playing MW2. We have taken the time to do our homework and create a list of the most common causes of the issue, along with solutions to address these problems.
If you’re having trouble with the graphics driver while launching Modern Warfare 2, check out our guide on resolving GPU driver version errors in MW2.
Why is Modern Warfare 2 crashing so much?
There are many reasons why MW2 keeps crashing on your PC. Common issues often involve outdated graphics drivers, faulty game files, limited hardware resources, and other known bugs on Windows.
Follow our list and troubleshoot the solutions individually until you figure out what’s causing the issue with this popular first-person shooter!
How do I fix MW2 from crashing?
Make sure your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Modern Warfare 2 before trying the troubleshooting solutions from our list of fixes for crashing issues in MW2.
1. Update the graphics driver
Gamers may encounter many issues if their graphics driver needs to be updated. Several players have found that updating their drivers resolved the crashing issues in MW2.
1. Click on the Windows icon and type Device Manager.
2. Locate and click on the Device Manager in the search results.
3. Double-click on the Display Adapters section.
4. Expand the section to display the name of your graphics card.
5. To update your graphics card driver, right-click on it and choose the Update driver option.
6. The Update Driver Wizard will open in a new window.
7. Choose the option to search for drivers automatically.
8. Windows will search for driver updates in its database.
9. Please complete any additional steps required for the driver installation.
10. Windows may be unable to locate driver updates.
11. Please restart your computer.
2. Repair game files
Corrupted Game files can lead to performance problems and crashing issues in MW2. There are two platforms where you can find the game, making it convenient and hassle-free to fix these files without reinstalling.
Attention Steam users:
1. Open Steam and go to your Library.
2. To locate Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, right-click on it and select Properties.
3. Find the Local Files section in the new window.
4. Click on the button that says Verify integrity of game files.
5. Once the verification is complete, Steam will notify you if any additional steps are required in case any game files are corrupted.
For Battle.net users:
1. Open Battle.net and go to the game library.
2. Locate Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, click the gear icon and choose the Scan and Repair option.
3. Choose the Begin Scan option.
4. Once the scan is done, follow any extra steps that appear on the screen to fix the game files.
3. Close background apps
Running apps in the background while playing Modern Warfare 2 can use up the game’s resources. By closing these apps, you can optimize your hardware resources and enhance the stability and smoothness of your game.
Some users have experienced game crashes due to overlays created by certain apps, such as Discord. Disable the overlay in the app settings if you want to keep the app running instead of closing it.
1. To open Task Manager, use the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
2. Locate unnecessary apps in the Processes tab to optimize your gaming experience in MW2.
3. Right-click on the app and select End task.
4. Close all the apps you want in the same way.
Make sure to refrain from terminating any processes you are unfamiliar with. These issues can lead to further complications on your computer, including malfunctions with Windows and security software. If you’re ever curious about a process or app, type its name into a Google search, and you’ll quickly find out what it’s used for.
4. Disable full-screen optimization
Windows includes a feature known as full-screen optimization, which can be helps to resolve crashing issues in MW2.
1. Find the folder where Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is installed.
2. To access the file location of a desktop shortcut, right-click on it and choose Open file location.
3. To access the properties of the game file, right-click on the executable (.exe) file.
4. Go to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to Disable full-screen optimization.
5. Click on the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes.
6. Launch Modern Warfare 2 by running the executable (.exe) file.
In the Compatibility tab of Properties, you can also check the box next to the Run this program as an administrator label. Several users have found that this resolved their problem with game crashes.
Here are some solutions to the common MW2 crashing issue on PC. If you resolved the problems on your PC, please let us know which solution worked for you. We would love to hear about your success!